The following information is compliments of True North Networks
Over the next several weeks I’ll be writing about cybersecurity things you can to do create a more secure environment within your firm.
- Maintain a business class firewall
- Educate yourself and your employees
- Learn about current cyber threats and how to protect your firm
- Share this information with employees so they understand why cybersecurity is so important (and how they can contribute to keeping the firm safe).
- Common cybersecurity mistakes
- Post-it full of passwords – walk around your office and see if you can find a post-it full of passwords stuck to the bottom of a keyboard or monitor. Explain to employees why this is a bad idea, and give them some ideas on how to manage passwords safely. Better yet – have a policy and make sure everyone is following it.
- Out-dated operating systems – no one should be running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 as they create a serious security vulnerability.
- Security software that never gets updated – firewall and antivirus software should be installed and updated as soon as possible. This should be part of your cybersecurity policy.
- Old employees still have access – create a solid password policy and have passwords changed every 90 days. I suggest creating a task in your CRM that every employee has to confirm when they change their passwords.